Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SDCC - Art and Books Acquired at Comic Con 2008

Believe it or not, I bought ZERO toys this year! I stopped being an obsessive Gigantor collector a few year ago, so now I only purchase items that appeal to me as a designer. On the other hand, I've got a weakness (addiction?!) for art books and monographs. Following is a list of items I purchased, along with the appropriate links to their work online.

I'll begin with the very last piece I got as the show was closing on Sunday afternoon. This sweet robot drawing by KMNDZ that was available at the Hi-Fructose booth.


I discovered quite a few new faces on the first day.  Got this nice little book called Inner Workings by Dave Pryor and Bob Rissetto.





Close by was Bruno Werneck's booth.  He had this amazing print on display, a beautiful retro-style reinterpretation for the cover of "Secret of the Lost Race."   Pick up his latest compilation of work, SPLASH2. You won't regret it!




Fleet Street Scandal is comprised of Kevin Dart and Chris Turnham, another talented duo with a penchant for an updated "retro-style" look that I'm totally digging.  They had Volume 1 of their collective artwork on sale, and it was a must-buy for me.



SPACEGIRL, by Travis Charest was a wonderful find!  Every page is a single, wide-screen panel, and his illustrations are drop-dead gorgeous. Visit his MSN Groups page to view the entire sequence.


Ruben Martinez has a new book out called The After Life which contains a plethora of creature design and wonderful imagery.  Check out his beautiful gallery on deviantart.


Kathie Olivas and Brandt Peters have a new book out, "Ghosts and Martyrs" (Kathie's work) or "Martyrs and Ghosts" (Brandt's work) - it's one of those one side up/one side down books by Murphy Art Books.


I also was excited to meet an artist that I've admired for quite some time, Jeff Soto.   We had a great chat at the end of day one and he even did a little Sketchbot drawing when signing his excellent new book, Storm Clouds.  Check out his blog for an entertaining Comicon recap.  ;)



I couldn't resist these wacky robots on the cover of Jamie Baker's NERVE BOMB Comix, and picked up Issue # Zero.  Tons more cool stuff up on his folio.


And last, but not least, I picked up both Afterworks 2 and Out of Picture Vol 2, which features the work of Pixar and Blue Sky Studios artists work outside of work.

7 comments:

theroute777 said...

that Jeff Soto stuff is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Love his work

kaNO! said...

dude, thanks for keeping me up to speed with all the sdcc activity through your blog and flickr, sketchbot came out great, congrats!!

Steve Talkowski said...

Yeah, Jeff's work is incredible.

kaNO, thanks for tuning in! I made some more solid contacts and Sketchbot got noticed by a ton of people that filed by ToyQube's booth. Thanks again to Keith for the display space!

Mick said...

Hey Kano

Looking forward to more grips dude!!!

They are really hard to get down here in Perth Western Australia - I love the red ones!! Actually - I love em all. Keep it up dude!!

Unknown said...

New Bill Maus cover!



www.ninjazombiesmovie.com

boob said...

Steve -

It was great meeting you at the con! Hope Sketchbot's production is rolling along smoothly.

One of the days I was walking around the con I saw Sketchbot featured in one of the glass cases at one of the vinyl toy booths. Neat!

Thanks for the kindly blurb about our book too - hope you dig our process. I need to update my links, but I'll be sure to include you.

Take care,

-bob.

Unknown said...

Hey man, thanks for the nice words there. It was a pleasure to meet you and the sketchbot character looks excellent! I got to see it in person behind glass at the con. Keep in touch.

-dave